The Windsor Goodfellows Club has been a cherished part of this community for over 100 years. Supported entirely through donations and receiving no government grants, the Windsor Goodfellows provides thousands of area families with assistance and support throughout the year, including a food bank, school breakfast programs, children’s footwear program, and much more.
We are best known for our annual holiday charity drive in which hundreds of volunteers stationed throughout the city sell the Goodfellows Special Edition Newspaper, helping to provide Christmas meals and gifts to thousands of children who might otherwise go without. Staffed almost entirely by volunteers, our organization spends over 80% of cash donations directly on the needy, with the remainder going to overhead expenses. Led by our Board of Directors, we are dedicated to a clear mission: to help those that cannot help themselves.
DID YOU KNOW
- We provide approximately 15,000 boxes of food to the needy yearly
- Each box provides approximately 3-4 days’ worth of meals
- We feed approximately 66,000 people yearly
- Christmas Certificates cost approximately $120,000 each year
- Food costs approximately $500,000 each year
- We have a breakfast nutrition program with nine schools which costs $36,000 each year
- We provide 1,600 children breakfast daily. This program is co-sponsored by Families First
- We provide 1,600 new pairs of shoes and boots to children from JK to grade 8
- The footwear program cost is between $90,000 – $100,000 yearly
- We receive 120,000 Goodfellow edition of the paper DONATED by The Windsor Star
- We have 34 Oldnewsboys Paper Teams with approximately 600 volunteers on the streets hawking the paper. This accounts for approximately 43% of our income.
- 83% of all monies raised are spent directly on the needy
- Fundraising costs 4%
- Administration costs 13%
- WE DO ALL OUR OWN FUNDRAISING AND RECEIVE NO FUNDING FROM THE GOVERNMENT
Photo courtesy of Nick Brancaccio / The Windsor Star